How does Buscopan work?

hello doctor, i have heard some of my colleagues say taking buscopan for abdominal camps in food poisoning will worsen symptoms because it will prevent the toxin(poison) from being shed off the body since it is an antispasmodic. What is your opinion?
Thu, 18 Jun 2015
Hi
Thank you for asking HCM.
I have gone through your query. It is the normal mechanism to flush the toxins out of body by diarrhea. But when excess spasm is there buscopan can be used judiciously. Such use doesn't stop the expelling of toxins. If only mild spasm during or before diarrhea then you can avoid it. Take enough fluids and electrolytes according to loss. You can take ORS, tender coconut water and fruit juices.
Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.