How do you lower cholesterol without drugs?

I know exercise is one part. What kinds of foods should you eat and what kind should you avoid?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
's  Response
This is a good question, since nowdays pharmaceutical companies are making millions selling cholesterol lowering drugs based on the pretension that nothing else works! When basically high cholesterol is a reflexion on deteriorating health mainly due poor food choices or mainstream western diet. Look at your health and body as a holistic system. Exercise is an element of health, like it is to breathe clean air, drink pure water and eat unprocessed foods that are void of damaging chemicals, altered/rancid/unhealthy fats like trans fats, etc. Quick advise... drink more pure water.. instead of sodas, etc, eat more wholesome foods. Fiber in our diet is a very important element that has been eliminated due to the processing of foods. Increase your ingestion of soluble fiber.. found in oatmeal, flaxseeds, beans... The lowering cholesterol action of soluble fiber is well documented. We need more of that stuff to keep or intestins working properly and to restore the benefitial bacteria in our gut. Be picky with your fat. While great amounts of fat might not be a good idea, is more important the type of fat that is included in the diet. Omega-3 rich fats, as in Flax Oil, fish oil... are known to improve the lipid ration in your blood. Olive oil is a good option too. Just sprinkle it on salads.. etc. Avoid... avoid! Trans fats... any oil that is hidrogenated or partially hidrogenated. These fats are included in a lot of processed foods and snacks. I would suggest go with caution with saturated fats.. I wouldn't say no saturated fats.. and this is debatable.. I consume a lot of saturated fat from coconut oil... this fat has a cholesterol lowering effect due to the composition of the fat with medium chain lipids... just don't take my word for it... research a little. Eat nuts... don't be afraid to eat avocados.. they are really high in soluble fiber and good monounsaturated fats. I hope this helps you! Good luck!