How can severe pain in the knees be treated?

My husband jumped down from a truck about 5 foot from ground, and he did not bend his knees upon impact. He remained stiff and upright when he landed. He thinks that contributes more than if he would have bent his knees in a squat position. He has a lot of problems now with pain, walking, standing, getting in and out of a vehicle. I was hoping that that he could take some supplements for joints that could help. Would you recommend anything?
Thu, 8 Mar 2018
Hello! Welcome to HealthcareMagic!

There I have read through your question and would like to tell you that your husband may have injured his knee when he jumped because of the impact. If he is having pain in walking and bending his knees he should get himself checked by an orthopaedician and consider getting an X-ray done. Though chances of fracture are less but there can be a ligament or miniscal tear which may require proper treatment. Meanwhile ask him not to put too much pressure on the knees. He can take an over the counter painkiller like Advil for temporary relief. Also he can take a good calcium supplement for strengthening his bones.

Hope this clarifies your concerns. Thank you for contacting us.

Dr. Nazma.amman, General & Family Physician