• question-icon

How can severe leg cramps be treated?

A guy I work with when he was younger his mother would give him quinine for leg cramps you could get it from the drug store, then it was a prescription needed drug and now he cant find it. He stated that this was the only thing that worked for him he has tried numerous meds that claim to help but dont. He wakes up during the night several times and has to heat towels in the microwave and wrap his legs just to releive the pain but it doesnt always work any suggestions
Thu, 18 May 2017
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is very unfortunate that he is experiencing such severe cramps. It would be best for him to be seen by a neurologist who would be able to do nerve conduction test of the nerves in the legs to see if there is abnormal function.

The doctor may also need to do blood tests for calcium, potassium, magnesium and sodium levels because abnormal levels of any of these can cause cramps

I hope this helps