Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
155 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can pain in the ribs be treated?

I have had a problem with my ribs for the last 10 years or so. My ribs get injured from anything from leaning over something, to ending over too fast, to a strong hug. They don t appear to fracture. One doctor thought it might have something to do with the cartilage. When it happens a can feel a popping or crunching type feeling. The pain can last for a week or more. Any idea what could be causing this, or more importantly what I can do to fix the problem?
Fri, 27 Apr 2018
Report Abuse
Anesthesiologist 's  Response

Yes, it is Costochondritis. Sometimes it can be so severe to cause breathlessness. As such there is no treatment for that till today through anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen could help.

It subsides on its own and nothing to worry at all. If you have pain, you can take any painkillers like diclofenac, tramadol, and etcetera.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Archana
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from pain under right side rib from past 6 years. it s sevirity is more when stomch is empty and before and after food. it s...