How can diarrhea in an infant be treated?

My baby girl is 5 months and 25days old. She got loose motion 2 weeks back doctor gave zinc and probiotics for 5 days and it got.cured and after few days it has come back..I went to another doctor he has given antibiotic. I have given 1 once and now I m.worried if it s safe. What should I do. She does not have bloody stool
Fri, 8 Jun 2018
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting, you need not worry. There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhea. I suggest you use zinc supplements and ORS, as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

Best regards.