How can a pulled muscle in the upper arm be treated?

A week ago, I was lifting heavy cases and pulled a muscle in my upper arm and shoulder. I find it painful to raise my arm. I think my Slim and tone exercises this morning made it worse. I m an 86 yr old female in reasonably good shape! What can I do at this stage - a week later?
Tue, 17 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Pulled muscle treatment depends upon the stage of muscle problem. Grade I muscle strain: This is the most minor of muscle strains, affecting only a minimal percentage of the muscle fibers of the affected muscle. Complete recovery is expected within weeks.
Grade II muscle strain: This is a partial tear of a significant percentage of the muscle fibers of the affected muscle. Complete recovery can occur but can take months and require rehabilitation.
Grade III muscle strain: This is a complete tear, or rupture, of the affected muscle. This can require surgical repair, and sometimes recovery is incomplete, even after many months of substantial rehabilitation. Take rest avoid have weight lifting, use cold and warm compression.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.