How can a callus on the ball of the foot be treated?

I think I have something in the ball of my foot - possibly a piece of broken sea shell from walking barefoot on the beach a couple of years ago - it has developed a callous about the size of a tylenol tablet it hurts while baring down on it or stepping...what do you suggest?
Thu, 7 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your case history of callus, my treatment advice is -
1. Avoid pressure on the affected part and wear loose footwear.
2. Apply a salicylic acid plus lactic acid lotion like Salactin paint on affected region once at night.
3. Take a vitamin A supplement once daily for 3 months.
4. Other treatment options are cryotherapy, cauterization or laser ablation done by a dermato-surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.