Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Hole in gum, leaking blood, pus. Not healing. Cancer?

I have a hole in my gum behind my tooth. It came a week ago, when I brushed really hard. My gums started leaking blood and pus . I m really scared, and I have no dental insurance. Is this cancer? It doesn t hurt anymore since the first day, but it isn t healing . There is something exposed, either bone or tooth, but I can t remember if I had that wisdom tooth removed or not. I have panic disorder, and my husband thinks I am making a big deal of this. What is it, and what do I do?
Asked On : Tue, 18 Dec 2012
Answers:  5 Views:  1946
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Just by having blood and pus discharge from your gums, you cant say its a cancer. There are many dental and oral conditions which give the same clinical appearance as you say. It can be either due to periodontal abcess ( cause due to gum infection ) , periapical abcess (caused due to carious tooth which has reached the nerve of the tooth and made it infectious) , erupting and infectious tooth whish again causes gum infection.
So you need not worry so much. Just give a quick visit to your dental surgeon to get a proper diagnosis after clinical examination.

dr deepali
Answered: Thu, 20 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
You are having some periodontal problem as you told you are having receding gums & exposed teeth.
It can also be periodontal abscess as you have pus discharge.You don't worry & get scaling & root planing done. Along with that start doing betadine gargles twice a day.You may start taking metrogyl-400 twice a day for 5 days & mouthwash for maintaining proper oral hygiene.
Consult your dentist for further opinion.

Take Care
Answered: Thu, 20 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
I read your problem,it seems that you have gingivitis,this is because of deposits on the teeth/resotoration/gums surface in the oral cavity.
So i will suggest you please visit a dentist as soon as possible and get the scaling done and follow all the given instructions after scaling like-
1.Brushing twice daily with soft tooth brush.
2.use chlohex plus mouthwash for 15 days and discontinue it after 15 days.etc.......
Meanwhile you can perform warm saline gargles 2-3 days.
Nothing to get worried.
Take Care
Dr. Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Thu, 20 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Preet Kaur's  Response
hi there
first of all keep calm.. all problems have solution.. no need to get panicked.
get a professional check up and teeth cleaning done. start using mouth wash rinsing.n brush with mild tooth brush in a circular manner.
take luke warm water add bit of table salt rinse at night everyday for 10 days after brushing. do see a dentist if things worsen.
Answered: Wed, 19 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
Hole in the gum in the molar area is due to infection of the gums or due to infected tooth as it is in relation to molars, so may be the molars are decayed and infected causing a gum boil which after drainage looks like hole in the gum. This gum hole can also be because of poor oral hygiene and deposits causing the infection in the gums. You have to visit a dentist and find out the diagnosis and in the meanwhile try to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing twice a day and doing warm saline rinses.
Answered: Thu, 20 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor