Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Hip pain. Had back surgery, metal rods inserted. Had steroid shots. What now?

hi i am 66 old i had back surgery 3 years ago and they put metal rods and screws in my lower back. i still had sever painin my lower back i took a fall before the surgery and was told later it was the pirformis muscle that was damaged. i went and had one side of it cut lose but this has not helpd either. i currently and suffering from constant leg spasm in both legs alll the time. i am not lacking any type of vitamin. i eat a well diet and try and exercise but that haas gotten difficult. i can not sit for any lenegthe of time. i either have to stand or lay and then when i lay the spasms start.i have to get up and walk around. thepain starts in my back and goes around in the hip down the front of the leg and down into the calf and into the foot . i have to put pressure on my feet to hold them forward when laying down. or thespasms get so bad i cant stand them. could the metal rods they put in my back be causing the problem. i am not looking for a lawsuit or anything just need some help to see if i can get it so it is liuvable. i dont sleep to much because thgoes on all night every night. i have taken all type muscle relaxers and pain relivers. i have had the shots like a steriod but thts not what is was. could the disc up this be the problem we have had several mris and seems when he lays down nothing shows is there a t4est that could be done tht would show anything other than laying down. i thought about ms and spinal stinisous but nothing seems to fit his symptoms. i need help seems i just get a runaround they want to say it is a vitam diffenmce but we know that cant be any help would be appreciated. i have high blood pressue ande i watch is carefully but othetr wise am really healthy. i was walking3everyday now seems like i am getting where3 i cant do that. i do swing my leg somewhen i walk not a lot but some. if i go to a dr what type of dr would you recomend. any help would be appreciated. like i said he did take a fall and landed on ly be4arsnd that is when they said if was the pirformis muscle was messed up. that has been 4 years ago. thanks so much
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Spine Surgeon 's  Response
Thank you for your question to HCM.

The symptoms you have described, in the setting of previous spine surgery can arise from nonunion of the bones or new stenosis. New stenosis above and below the level of previous surgery can be detected by MRI. Nonunion of the bones which were supposed to fuse can lead to recurrent stenosis at the same level.

Standing Xrays while bending forward and backward are needed to detect this nonunion. MRI interpretation in this area is sometimes confusing as a result of artefact from the metal. A study called CT myelogram which is a CT scan along with an injection of a dye in spine can confirm nonunion as well as show this stenosis. You can discuss this possibility with your surgeon.

Hope this is helpful. Wish you the best.
Answered: Fri, 6 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor