Hi, I fell and hit my back on the edge

I fell and hit my back on the edge of a step almost a decade ago and never sought medical treatment. I was in extreme pain for about a week afterwards and in mild to moderate pain for two more months. It also left a permanent 'lump' about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. After 10 years without any pain, there's suddenly a constant dull ache and sharp, stabbing pains when I bend over.

Is this likely to be a serious injury that would require treatment? If so, would delaying treatment make my condition worse? I can't afford to see a doctor unless absolutely necessary.
Wed, 2 Mar 2016