Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Had braces in the past. Gums were pushed in between the two front teeth. Anything serious?

i have had braces for almost 2 years and before i got them on i had a gap. when my braces fixed my gap in between my two front teeth the gum that was in the gap began to puff up. now i have a big piece of my gums in the front and behind my two front teeth. it almost looks like when my gap closed the braces pushed my gums together and pushed the in front and behind these teeth. what is this and is it serious?
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013
Answers:  7 Views:  272
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
i would like to inform you that gap between upper front two teeth is due to a thick frenum(muscle) which prevents the two teeth from coming in contact.
i have not checked you clinically ,therefore i will not be able to tell you if you need a surgical removal of the frenum or not, but as your orthodontist has not performed a frenectomy prior to your treatment,then its not needed.
But , as a normal healing process, frenum will take the desired shape and close the gap.
after completion of your orthodontic treatment, you will be given retainers to wear, which will keep your teeth in position.
i would advise you to talk to your dentist regarding frenectomy once.
But, if its not needed in your case, then do not worry, the frenum will take a normal shape gradually.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm forum,

You had c/o midline diasthema.
This usually occurs with high frenal attachment of labial frenum.
In your case,the dentist has not performed frenectomy prior to orthodontic appliances insertion.
I would advice you to get thorough clinical examination by a dentist.
Frenectomy will help to remove the pushed gums in between the teeth.
also perform lip exercises.
Maintain oral hygiene well.
Get scaling done.
Take care.
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

your present symptom is due to the tissue entrapment between the two front teeth.

This has happened due to the gap you had prior to treatment.

After orthodontic correction the teeth has achieved new place in the jaw and thus the associated tissue has got entrapped in the available space.

Here i would advice you to revisit your orthodontist, and take an opinion if it can be surgically excised and further closer of two teeth can be achieved.

If he/she guarantees you complete space closer ,after diagnosing your profile ,then you can get the treatment done.

Also meet an oral surgeon to discuss and get the second opinion,if this can be excised and alone excision can solve your problem.

Most importantly if there is no pain ,irritation and discomfort,other than cosmetic issue you can Decide on your own to go for treatment or not.

Hope i have answered you.Please let me know for further query.

Take care.

Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response

Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

After reading your history i suspect there is entrapment of the gingival tissue that is incissive papillae in between your upper front teeth .

This might be overhanging as a tissue overgrowth on the palatal side of the teeth.

Nothing to worry about , consult a dentist and get the examination done , the gingival over growth can be excised surgically anf the gingiva can be reshaped.

After excision antibiotic and analgesic coverage is must to prevent infection of the site and to promote healing.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

The overgrowth can be an overlying gums in the front or can be a overhang of the incisive papilla on the palatal side. There is nothing to worry about this.
All you can do is maintain a good oral hygiene and prevent infection.
You can take a second opinion also.
If it is overhang of gums can be surgically excised.
Use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hello dear
There is nothing serious, it occurs normally after orthodontic you need to reffer a periodontist who can correct the shape and contour of your gums by a minor surgery called the mean while start doing warm saline rinses and massage this area with finger.
Dr. Amit k. Gaba
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sonia Nayab's  Response
hi there
thanks for asking your query

sometimes when gaps are closed by orthodontic tooth movement gum tissue get trapped in between.
as nothing to worry,normally there is gum in between teeth known as interdental papillae
if the trapped gum has normal contour as the adjacent tooth then its normal,if it is slightly odd then normal then go to your dentist and get it treated
else you can massage the gum gently with clean finger for two weeks,if its still odd then go for a minor surgical procedure gingivectomy in which excess gingiva will be excised

Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor