Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Ear piercing infected, lump in ear, pus, painful. Help

Hello! About 5 years ago I got my ears pierced. The piercing on my right ear got infected, so I took it out immediately, which I understood at the time was the best thing to do. A few months after it closed and healed, I developed a lump (or ball) in my ear. I went to a doctor about it (about a year ago), and they told me that I should massage it, because it was a puss ball, and eventually it would turn to liquid, and come out through he piercing hole. So I did as directed, as it did turn to liquid, and the majority of it came out through the hole. Recently (which in the last 4 months), the puss ball has returned, and on occasion becomes very painful, and when this started, I would touch it and it would basically shoot puss out. So I got the idea that I should drain it regularly, and I have been up to now, but for the last several days, it has become very painful, very enlarged, and I am unable to get any puss out of it. None comes out of my ear when I squeeze. I could live with this I suppose, but I believe it might be infected, as the pain is starting to go down in to my neck , below my ear. I am very concerned about this, and I do not know if I should see a doctor (which is very expensive for me, and is rare that I can do so), or if it is even dangerous or could cause harm to my body. I hope you will be able to help me!
Asked On : Sun, 9 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  728
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
You require an appropriate antibiotic and drainage of the pus under anaesthesia.
There is no other way of treating it at home.
Regards, Dr Kishori
Answered: Sat, 21 Dec 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor