Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Does the jaw clenching habit aggravate the TMJ pains and current orthodontic treatment ?

when i was 12 years old a dentist had put braces on my lower jaw only ( she had extracted 2 teeth for it: premolars) and had pushed it back by atleast 1 1/2 inches and my lower and upper teeth would not touch. till the age of 20, almost, i had the lower teeth relapsing and my anterior teeth were still malaligned i e my lower teeth was not straight and was inclined towards insides. at the age of 20 i went to an orthodontist and he suggested me to get braces to get properly aligned teeth. For the purpose he brought out my upper teeth forward by 4 mm and then he applied braces on my lower teeth and pushed it back a little so that the gap created by my extracted teeth from earlier braces treatment could be cured and the gap between my upper teeth and lower had increased upto 5 mm. and now i have suddenly started having tmj pains. the doctor says that i am having this pain due to my predisposition to tmj as i had had malaligned teeth since long. i want to know if the current orthodontic treatment is causing my tmj pain or is it because of the earlier one . moreover i even want to know if i should continue with the braces as in should i wait till the time my orthodontist aligns my teeth?i think i even have the habbit of jaw clenching . is this aggravating my problem
Asked On : Tue, 26 Apr 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  109
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
your problem seems to be a multifactorial one. Long standing malaligned teeth can definitely lead to TMJ pain. Also there is quite a possibility that the current ortho treatment might be causing some change in your occlusion and that in turn resulting in stress on your joint. Even your habit of jaw clenching is many a times cause of muscle faigue which can appear in form of TMJ pain. So i will suggest you to visit some Oral surgeon or a Prosthodontist along with all your previous treatment records....
take care...
Answered: Tue, 26 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor