Does pulling of pectorial muscle can be the reason of having pressure on heart?

For the last 2 weeks I've had a pressure on the left side of my chest with occasional shooting pains.. I'm 26, normal weight, healthy (no cold, etc.), and I'm a light smoker (2 cigs a day). I went to the doc because I was worried it was my heart. The doc checked my lungs with a stethascope and said they were very clear. He says I must have pulled a pectorial muscle because if it was my heart I wouldn't be walking around after 2 weeks of pain. Is this true? Can your heart hurt? His diagnosis sounds weird to me. Also, I don't remember doing anything that would have pulled this muscle.
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
Yes it is true, you can hurt your pectoral muscles. At your age i would say it's probably not "heart" related. If your very worried i would ask the doctor for a stress test. A stress test determines ischmia and how much your heart works when exercising. it's a great test to tell a doc if you have any heart disease. Another test is an echo cardiogram which looks at the chambers of your heart to see the blood flow of the valves, to check for stenosis. I wouldn't be worried, if your doc thinks your fine and you have no positive family history. I would do an stress test if: -you have sharp stabbing pains with exersion (with activity) - have shortness of breath -have numbness, pain shooting down your left arm, shoulders or jaw -weakness, increasingly tired If not it's probably just a pulled muscle (which has happened to me when i work out my chest). Give it a few days and see what happens but if you have many of the symptoms i described go back to your doc and explain to him again!