Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Child has low concentration, fumbled speech, IQ test showed mild mental retardation, advised admission in special school. Suggestion?

Hi, My son is 3.5 yrs of age and studying in Jr. KG. He is not concentrating on studies neither he can speak fluently. But he can speak A-Z, 1-10, Jan-Dec, Mon-Sun etc. He can also speak poems but in piece meal. Teachers in his school are asking to admit him in special school rather than main stream school. we had done his IQ and found to be mild mental retardation . Your view please
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Pediatrician 's  Response
Even adults can suffer from poor concentration occasionally. Some fumbling at this age need not be taken seriously. Sending the child to special school can cause severe psychological problem in the child. Please go slow. Shower the child with love and make him happy. After some time you can get him evaluated again but take care not to cause too much tension. If needed take a neurologist's opinion to make sure there is no progressive disease.
Answered: Fri, 21 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor