Can inflammation and swelling on the finger be treated at home?

Hello I noticed that the middle finger on my right hand is somewhat red and swollen to the side of my fingernail. It feels tender when I touch it. I can t remember injuring the finger but I do bite my nails from time to time. Do I need to seek medical care or is this something I can treat at home?
Mon, 16 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Probably the inflammation of your finger is caused by the bite, it might be paronychia at this stage considering your prescription.
Paronychia is a common finger infection and is caused by skin bacteria.
You can try warm soaks in warm water or a mixture of warm water and antibacterial soap 50/50, three times daily.
You can take Ibuprofen for pain relief and reducing inflammation.
If it doesn't improve then you should go to the ER for a physical examination.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.