Are elevated alpha-fetoprotein levels a cause of concern?

My doctor said my blood tests were good except that my Alpha level was abnormal. She said to come back in thirty days for another blood test, and that the raised level might just be a sign of arthritis or an infection. Should I wait the 30 days? Is this something to be concerned at this point?
Tue, 18 Sep 2018

What is a level of AFP in your report? Are you pregnant? There are two categories of AFP tests: tests performed on serum (blood plasma), and tests performed on amniotic fluid.

In case of serum means principal tumours that secrete AFP are endodermal sinus tumour (yolk sac carcinoma), neuroblastoma, hepatoblastoma, and hepatocellular carcinoma.

In case of amniotic fluid means neural tube defects of the baby. So please follow your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Penchila Prasad Kandikattu , Internal Medicine Specialist