Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

14 year old having Icthyosis. Is it hereditary or an acquired disease? What are the tests to be done for diagnosis?

My son has developed icthyosis now in his 14th year. Is this an acquired one and not hereditory? If so how can I know the undercurrent reason for developing this? what tests to be done for a diagnosis? I have read somewhere that this is developed because of some infectious disease . Kindly guide me. He is now taking Taraka ayurvedic treatment for the last 15 days. His symptoms have reduced. Doctor says he has to take six months treatment.
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
  User's Response
hi mercy
thanks for query
yes it is genetic disorder.. physician often can diagnose ichthyosis by looking at the skin. A family history is very useful. In some cases, a skin biopsy is done to help to confirm the diagnosis. In a biopsy, a small piece of skin is removed and examined under a microscope. In some instances, genetic testing may be helpful in making a diagnosis. Diabetes has not been linked to acquired ichthyosis or ichthyosis vulgaris.[6]
Ichthyosis is not more or less common in any ethnic group. As of now, there is no way to prevent ichthyosis since it is often of a genetic nature as homeopathic doctor i can say homeopathy have better cure and only you have go for the right physician who considers all your mental and physical symptoms
Answered: Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor