please explain the relationship between high blood pressue and a

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: please explain the relationship between high blood pressue and a build up of fluid in the lungs? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello !

Welcome on icliniq!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that a build up of fluids in the lungs during high blood pressure can occur in a patient with heart failure.

In case of heart failure, the heart is not able to pump the blood properly in cases of increased peripheral resistance (which happens during high blood pressure).

This way the blood remains in the lungs ( blood circulates from the lungs, through the heart into the systemic circulation) and it may lead to increased pulmonary pressure.
This leads to pulmonary edema and fluid build up in the lungs.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee