is a high mean platelet volume a cause for concern?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: is a high Mean Platelet Volume (but still within range) a cause for concern? Recent online discussions suggest an increasing risk of CVD as MPV increases, up to a 1.8X greater chance of thrombosis.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High MPV increases the risk thrombosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
High MPV is associated with increase risk of thrombosis. Large platelets are enzymatically and metabolically more active. So it increase the risknof thrombosis.

If your MPV is within normal range then no need to worry. And diabetes, hypertension, obesity and other factors are also consider for risk of thrombosis.

So don't worry much about mpv.
No any treatment is required right now.

Just repeat your MPV after 2 months.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer.
Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist