i am a female age 58 years old recently i

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Sun, 17 Mar 2019 in General Health
Question: i am a female age 58 years old recently i have been shortness of breath when walking up and down the stair in my home also when i walk to get the mail excerting myself very little also a couple of nights i had an unusal dry ( only a couple of times ) i have always been healthy b ut i have not been excersizing
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes explained and needed further steps

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at "ask a doctor" service. I carefully went through your query and here is my advice.

Shortness of breath while exercising is a symptom that needs good evaluation. It may be caused by a few causes including lung or heart problems and it is important that you get a good check with your doctor so he can listen to your heart and lungs and maybe order a chest x ray and an ECG and heart ultrasound to rule out these problems (especially lung infection or problems with heart vessels or function).

Do you have other symptoms with the shortness of breath? Any chest pain or heart pounding? Do you have any other chronic conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol or hypertension? Do you take any medications regularly? Have you had any fever or weakness recently? Have you had any general check recently with blood tests like CBC (for anemia), TSH (for thyroid problems), ALT and AST for liver function, creatinine and electrolytes for kidney function, sugar and lipid levels, ECG, etc.

To conclude I would say:
- shortness of breath with exercise can happen with heart and lungs problems and also with anemia or if you are going through an infection recently.
- it is important to have a good check with your doctor to find the cause and have the proper treatment because most of the conditions that cause shortness of breath with exercise are important and need good medical attention and care
- your doctor will need to do a good general examination with heart and lung auscultation and also might request blood tests and examinations as mentioned above

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad