hi, I have a peripheral neuropathy secondary to chronic plantar

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sun, 10 Mar 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi, I have a peripheral neuropathy secondary to chronic plantar fasciitis. It seems to start about one third of the way down from the knees -midcalf and extends to the tips of my toes. It has been going on for four years and now I have chronic scarring in the bottoms of my feet in the plantar fascia which makes moving my toes and foot slightly painful and everything feels tight and difficult to move. I have tried lots of remedies but the problem persists. Any thought on vitamins, supplements, growth factors, PRP, stem cells, Ultrasound, lasers, FES, PEMF, drugs, etc?
Also have had blood clots in both legs.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment possibilities listed below and include surgery is a possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor" service.

I have read your query and here is my advice.

Treatment modalities in case of neuropathy due to plantar fasciitis include anti-inflammatory drugs use, supplements (vitamin B complex, alpha-lipoic acid, etc.), physical therapy, local steroid injections.

There are no sufficient data for other treatment modalities to support benefit (stem cells, growth factors, etc.).

In cases of prolonged symptoms, antineuralgic drugs ( antidepressants such as amitryptiline, duloxetine, anti-seizure drugs such as pregabalin, gabapentin) may be considered.

In carefully selected cases when confirmed clinically and by tests (MRI, nerve conduction studies) that there is a clear point of entrapment of the nerve(s) surgical release may be beneficial.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad