hi, I have a history of pre diabeties and just

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Diabetes
Question: hi, I have a history of pre diabeties and just recently through a dipstick test found blood in my urine a moderate amouunt. my period is due in about 4 or 5 days would this show up early like this in a dipstick or should I get this evaluated? thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Blood in your urine 4-5 days before your period would not be related to your period. However, transient blood in the urine is common and doesn't need to be evaluated. The cause is often not known but can possibly be from exercise, fever, infection, or trauma. It is usually recommended to recheck the dipstick in a few days to see if it is persistent or not.

If it is, the next step would be to look at the urine with a microscope to confirm there are red blood cells. This can also help determine if the bleeding is coming from the kidneys, or from rest of the urinary tract. There are many factors that help determine this, but for example if you had protein on your dipstick, this would suggest the source may be in the kidney.

At this point, if you have any symptoms or signs of a urinary tract infection, a urine culture can be done and treated if positive. The next steps if the blood is still unexplained is to get a CT scan of your urinary tract, and then possibly a scope to look at your bladder to make sure there is not cancer.

That may be looking too far ahead, though, since transient blood in the urine is common and wouldn't need any further work up, so I would just repeat the dipstick for now. But I hope that helps give you an idea of what the next steps would be after that. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to discuss it further with you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng