question-icon

ahould i atart an antibiotic before i get a tooth

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2019
Question: ahould i atart an antibiotic before i get a tooth implant
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Consult your oral surgeon for preventive measures.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting Ask A Doctor service.
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query.

I have read your query and understand your concern. As far as prophylactic antibiotic is concerned i would like to tell you that for each implant surgery it is not mandatory. Antibiotics are however useful in preventing postoperative infections after implant placement. To achieve high long-term survival and success rates of dental implants, antibiotic prophylaxis is required and if patient is having any health issues like prosthetic (false) heart valves, past endocarditis, a heart transplant or other heart conditions then preventive antibiotic therapy is recommended to reduce the risk of implant failure.

I will suggest you to consult your oral surgeon and then go for prophylactic antibiotic for treatment.

Hope this will help you.
If you have further query I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist