Yesterday, I noticed a growth that is about half the

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Cancer
Question: Yesterday, I noticed a growth that is about half the size of a pea in the upper left part of my neck. It is hard and I don't think it moves but I'm not certain. It feels like it's attached to a thick vertical structure or muscle. I don't think it moves independently of that structure. It didn't hurt until yesterday but I've been obsessively touching it and trying to see if it moves. So now it's a little sore. I don't have any other symptoms. My energy, appetite, sleep, and overall health seem very good. I do worry a lot though. I haven't been sick lately. I was sneezing a lot but I'm pretty sure it was just allergies. I've always had bad allergies. What are the odds that this is cancer?
I can't really tell if it moves or not. If it doesn't move, does that mean it's likely to be cancer?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neck lumps

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

It’s not that easy to make cancer diagnosis.In my opinion you should not worry.In the most of part they are lipoma

In general the lumps in neck must have size over 1,5 cm to be considered for further examination

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 27 hours later
I saw a physician assistant. She described the growth as hard and unmovable but smaller than a pea. She didn't think it was something to worry about. I think my neck in general is a little sore and I feel tired now though. I'm not sure if it's just stress or I'm getting a cold or something else. I believe from what I read that if the enlarged lymph node is just a reaction to a cold or infection, it's called a reactive lymph node and is less serious. I'm hoping that's what I have. My question is: Could a reactive lymph node be hard and unmovable or are they always soft and easy to move?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neck lump

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The reactive lump node can be hard and unmovable,in my opinion you have nothing to worry

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj