Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Widal test showed Salmonella typhi O =1.64, Salmonella typhi H =1.64 Salmonella paratyphi A,H <1.80. Meaning? Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 1115 Questions
My daughter age 2 yes, has got her widal test as
Salmonella typhi O =1.64
Salmonella typhi H =1.64
Salmonella paratyphi A,H <1.80
Salmonella paratyphi B,H <1.80

What does this mean? How to cure?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No typhoid. Retest after one week. Blood culture.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

Your widal test values are.
Salmonella typhi O -1:64
Salmonella typhi H -1:64
Salmonella paratyphi A,H - <1.80
Salmonella paratyphi B,H- <1.80.

These Widal titre are not significant to conclude a typhoid positive status.

The Widal test is done to diagnose infection by Salmonella typhi and Salmonella paratyphi organsims.

The test is done to detect the antibodies to the mentioned organisms.

If the antibodies are present, then the test is marked positive. But antibodies can be due to present infection or even a past infection.

Serial dilution of the serum is used to do the test. The dilution starts from 1 in 20 and has a series like 1 in 40, 1 in 80, 1 in 160, 1 in 320, 1 in 640....

A person is diagnosed with enteric fever (typhoid) only if more than 1 in 100 titer is positive for O and 1in 200 titer positive of H antigens.

In practice, a titer of more than 1 in 160 is taken as positive for enteric fever.

But if your cephalosporin drugs.
Your treating doctor is well known about the drug and dose.

Thus i advise you to check the titre value after one week and review with your physician.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing your daughter good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor