Why would a cervical stitch be needed at 23rd week of pregnancy and what are its complications?
reduced activity, normal healthy diet
Cervical stitch or cervical cerclage is the treatment for cervical incompetence. Cervical incompetence means that the cervix is at risk of opening before it is an appropriate time for delivery.
Complications are rare due to the stitch- there is a risk of infection but the chance is low
She would need to report any leakage at all that she notices, because this may sometimes indicate that the membranes have ruptured.
Physical activity needs to be reduced and intimacy should be avoided till 32 to 34 weeks in women with emergency cerclage/stitch like your wife.
(some women have the stitch scheduled early in pregnancy because they have a previous history of problems, other women have it scheduled when a problem is detected, that is called emergency cerclage/stitch)
The stitch would be checked once or twice a week to make sure that it is intact.
There are no particular foods , she needs to continue on a general healthy diet that contains a wide range of fruits and vegetables.
Summary- Mainly reducing activity (bed rest) and limiting intimacy till 32-34 weeks
Checking the stitch once or twice a week
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pregnancy after cervical cauterization
- Cervical stitch during pregnancy
- Cervical mucus in 4th week of pregnancy
- What is cervical mucus like in early pregnancy
- Cervical polyps pregnancy week 22
- Cervical discharge during 8th week pregnancy
- Cervical erosion in pregnancy at 32 weeks
- Cervical mucus during 4th week of pregnancy
- Cervical mucous in 4th week of pregnancy
- Missed period found cervical pregnancy what are the complication