Why is ME 12 prescribed?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I want my question to be reviewed by Dr. XXXXXXX Makode and this is related to the question asked in the following link,
http://www.healthcaremagic.com/AskDoctorInboxServlet?page=viewQuery&queryId=358908

I need to understand the reason for advising ME 12 and after going through the medicines details, it looks like it is not for increasing my B12 level but looks like to relax my heart muscles. May be I understood wrong but i want to clarify before I start ME 12. The link, I am following to understand the reason for taking ME 12 is following.
https://www.tabletwise.com/me-12-tablet
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They have wrongly mentioned it

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again,

You check on some authentic sites. They have wrongly mentioned the role of Vit 12.
Tab ME12 contains methylcobalamin, folic acid and pyridoxine. Methylcobalamin is nothing but Vit B12 and you can search on the internet regarding the uses of Methylcobalamine. Methylcobalamin is useful in patients with low b12, and deficiency of Vit b12 can cause nerves problem, decreased blood production by bone and increased homocysteine levels and subsequently clogged arteries. So various sites mention it's use as a treatment of above conditions.

You should individually search for uses methylcobalamin, and it also contains a low dose of pyridoxine and folate which also doesn't have any role in relaxing the heart. So I don't think there is any relation to it with relaxation and slowing the heart.

So please recheck on some authentic sites and get back to me if you still have a doubt.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
Thank you Dr for clarifying. I just would like to checking that I m taking cloze.25 for my anxiety issue. Would that be fine along with this medicine? Any recommendation on the site,going forward, I will be checking for right medicines usage n effects. Thank u once again.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should check on up-to-date, mayo clinic

Detailed Answer:
You should check on uptodate which is best and may not available freely always, mayo clinic, medscape, WebMD etc.. These are good sites.
Don't get panic panic by its uses mentioned by them, for eg, they have mentioned it's also given to blood cancer patients, patients with neurological illness etc etc, it just means these patients are also likely to face deficiency and may benefit from its supplements. This is just a vit which is normally present in diet especially nonvegetarians diet like meat etc. and if less we provide some supplements.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes certainly no issue

Detailed Answer:
Sorry
Yes, you can have it. Just keep gap for 2 hours between cholecalciferol and this me12. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 0 minute later
thank you Doctor, I think you missed another question, I have asked in the above thread.

I just would like to checking that I m taking cloze.25 for my anxiety issue. Would that be fine along with this medicine?

I am also taking XXXXXXX containing Cholecalciferol 60K once a week for 8 weeks. this also be fine with ME 12?

Thank you for your time and patience.I just would like to checking that I m taking cloze.25 for my anxiety issue. Would that be fine along with this medicine?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, certainly

Detailed Answer:
Yes, there is no problem. You can have these together. There is no interaction between two.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj