What will be the side effects of ingestion of insect repellent?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My husband used insect re;pellent for ants and fruit flies in the house - is the repellent harmful to humans? If he touched something and then I touched it and he had just sprayed the insect repellent would it harm me if I didn't know he had touched it and then I ate something?
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Small amount intake of repellents should not be harmful

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern. Though i dont know exactly what chemical combination is present in the insect repellents mentioned above, still i assume that it contains organophosphates or carbamates normally.

These chemicals generally when ingested in significant amount only can cause symptoms. Symptoms may include lacrimation, salivation, sweating, blurring of vision, fall in blood pressure, increased urination etc.

But from your history, I think that you have consumed very minute amount if any. That should not cause any problem.
Still look for the above symptoms mentioned. If those occur, going to the ER is needed. Don't worry.

Hope this was useful.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta