What medical conditions can cause night sweats?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i am 50 years old; incarcerated in m.y.state correctional facility, XXXX
for the past week have been going to bed in evening; teeth chattering since i am so cold.
wake up mid night to go to bathroom; shirt is soaked from sweat.
last night; ate sandwich just before be; woke up as usual; had a grannola bar and went back to sleep.
work up without soaket clothing.

have been diagnosed at one time as pre-diabetic! 6'-0
weighing approximately 249 pounds. exercise in cell dails; haven't beem outside recently due to weather conditions.

am going to schedule appointment with medical; wondered if you had any ideas or tests to be taken.
thank you for your time

XXXXXXX XXXX

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hypoglycemia

Detailed Answer:

I assume the blood sugar levels or blood pressure may be dropping low to cause such sweat in the middle of the night. This was confirmed by your other night where you had sandwich before you went to sleep and had granola in the middle of the night.

You should get HbA1c, Fasting Blood sugar and may be blood sugar level in the middle of the night to confirm what happened, but I understand that is not easy in a correctional facility.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 19 minutes later
HAS CRAVING FOR ICE COLD WATER IN ADDITIONS TO SWEATS AND CHILSW
Brief Answer:
It fits with low sugar levels

Detailed Answer:
if you are thirsty and sweaty you tend to crave for ice cold water. It fits with low sugar levels.