What is the prognosis for microscopic colitis?
Microscopic colitis management
Microscopic colitis occurs due to inflammation in colon. The condition can never be cured completely. However, the disease can be suppressed by following certain lifestyle changes and medications.
Lifestyle changes include following a diet which is low in fat. Avoid spicy food and limit caffeine intake. Some people find relief following dairy-free and the gluten-free diet.
Certain medications like aspirin, Advil and antidepressants can trigger the symptoms.
Continue the budesonide, cholestyramine. These medications are effective in controlling symptoms. Imodium will control diarrhoea.
If all the above measures fail, then other immunosuppressive medications need to add to the treatment regime.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Gallbladder disease and microscopic colitis
- Microscopic colitis intestinal parasite
- What is the alternative medication for budisonide for microscopic colitis
- Salsa with microscopic colitis
- What are the treatments for microscopic colitis
- Microscopic colitis what to eat
- Microscopic colitis and pregnancy
- What is microscopic colitis disease
- How dangerous is microscopic colitis
- Microscopic colitis and sore throat