What is the prognosis for Babinski in an adult?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi there, my husband had neurological tests and he had positive Romberg and also bilateral upgoing plantars (babinski)

He has been booked in for a brain and spine MRI and everything I have read online seems to show this is a serious condition. Is there ever a time when babinski isn't serious and it is benign? I have seen it can be related to tumours and MS etc.

He is 32.
Answered by Dr. Eni 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is benign in infants, and only then

Detailed Answer:
Dear lady,
From what you describe, your husband has positive Romberg and positive Babinski.

Babinski is normal only in neonates and infants, and if it shows in adults, then it is a sign of a damage to the spinal nerves. CT of the brain, MRI of the spine and cerebrospinal fluid exams need to follow.
Romberg sign being positive confirms that there is a problem with the sensory pathways in the spine, and thus requires further investigation to assess the damage and the specific diagnosis.
Rarely they can be related to tumors or MS. In most of cases are other condition which can be treated with the proper care.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your husband good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad