What is the life expectancy of patient suffering from COPD?
there is a scoring system regarding prognosis
I suppose you're talking about his oxygen saturation?
80% is very low, which means that he needs oxygen supplementation.
The scoring system I've mentioned in the short answer takes various factors into account: FEV1, a grading of dyspnea, walking distance within certain time limits (6 minutes) and body mass index. The aforementioned data determine the 4 year survival of COPD patients.
Let me provide some more details. He gets 3, 2 or 1 for FEV1 less than 35%, 49%, 64% respectively. Otherwise he gets 0 points.
Less than 150 meters within 6 minutes gives 3 points. Less than 250 gives 2 points. Less than 350 gives 1 point. 0 points for the rest obviously.
He gets 1 point for a body mass index (his weight in kilograms divided by the square of his height in meters) equal to or lower than 21 (or 0 points otherwise).
Finally dyspnea may be classified depending on its severity as follows:
- if the patient cannot carry out ordinary daily activities and cannot even leave his home then he gets 3 points.
- if the patient feels shortness of breath after walking a short distance (less than 100 yards) or for a few minutes he gets 2 points.
- if the patient has symptoms when walking on ground level and needs to stop every so often he gets 1 point.
- if the patient only feels shortness of breath when carrying out strenuous exercise then he gets 0 points.
After you complete this kind of assessment, you have to add the points. The 4 year survival rate is as follows:
- 0 to 2 points = 80%
- 3 to 4 points = 67%
- 5 to 6 points = 57%
- 7 to 10 points = 18%
Obviously this is a rough estimation and different patients may not follow this 'rule'. For example a patient who has COPD and also has diabetes and heart disease is in a much less favorable situation.
I hope you find this information helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is copd life-threatening
- What is the cause of headache in copd patients
- Aggressive behaviour in copd patients
- Life expectancy with copd and congestive heart failure
- Life expectancy with copd and kidney dialysis
- Stenotrophomonas pneumonia in copd patients
- Expect end stages copd
- Prognosis of copd patients
- Copd and chf life expectancy
- Vibrating vest for copd patients