Owl Image

What is the life expectancy for 87 years old having throat cancer with metastasis to the lungs?

ENT Specialist
Question
what is an expected survival time for 87 yo 9 months s/p radiation and chemo for throat cancer now with metastasis to the lungs (multiple tumors, 3cm and smaller) if no further treatment is given?
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The expected survival time in this situation is only a few weeks to months.

2. The five year survival time if there is no further treatment is less than 5% and it varies from patient to patient depending upon the grade of the tumor, the size of the primary cancer, the exact sites of the metastasis, the previous response to the treatment and so on.

3. It is indeed an unfortunate situation. Are her vocal cords mobile? Patients with glottic insufficiency tend to aspirate and succumb to respiratory complications. Her diabetes and congestive heart failure are significant co-morbid conditions.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.