• question-icon

What is the cause and treatment for sore throat?

Posted on Thu, 26 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Ive had a sore throAt for the past 3 weeks. It almost feels like a sore tongue on the right side. I went to the doctors and he gave me amoxil for 10 days. I have since finished the meds and my sore throat/tongue has since returned. Its only been in the past 24 hours that its become very painful to chew/ swallow food. Im wondering where do i go from here. I feel as if the doc was very quick to give me a prescription .
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use antiseptic gargles and triamcinolone gel

Detailed Answer:

You have taken antibiotics for ten days for sore throat and the pain is persisting.

As per your history you don't have any fever or malaise.

Please use an antiseptic gargling solution along with a locally acting triamcinolone gel for local application.

Also take B comlex for few days along with a probiotic prepration.

All these should be available over the counter with out prescription.

In case the problem persists or fever appears, please see an ENT.

Feel free to ask another query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist