What is the cause and treatment for severe toothache?
Local anesthetic agent can be used
Thanks for using healthcare magic.
I understand that tooth pain is very severe for most of us and can create havoc in anyone's life. Being on Subutex your assumption that Vicodin is not going work holds partially true as subutex does not block completely the analgesic properties of other opiod agents lke hydrocodone of Vicodin..
In my view there are three options for your pain relief which can be discussed with your treating doctor.
1. A higher dose of current medication can be effective for you. Talk to your dentist he will understand your concern and will prescribe accordingly.
2. The second option for you is a combination of two anti inflammatory agents or using a stronger anti inflammatory agent. Among the anti inflammatory agents the drug Ketorolac have the almost similar efficacy to opiods and its action is not blocked by Subutex or any antagonist of opiod receptors. The drug is recommended for short term use in presence of severe pain and where opiods are contraindicated or in individuals who have history of addiction and have high likelihood of relapse.
3. The third option for you is use of local anesthetic which will relieve your pain instantly and does not have any risk of addiction. Your doctor will probably do the skin testing to rule out any allergy to proposed agent and after due consideration of risk factors will prescribe same.
To conclude I assure you there are multiple options are available for pain relief. What I discussed can be prescribed on out patient basis and does not require any kind of serious monitoring. In case you need to discuss more intensive treatment that probably not required in your case feel free to contact me.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Late period negative pregnancy test and now severe toothache
- Can i take expired hydrocodone for severe toothache
- Severe toothache and headache on same side of tooth
- Severe toothache pain relief
- Treatment and cure for Severe toothache
- Diagnosis of Severe toothache
- Symptoms of Severe toothache
- Severe toothache causes
- Drugs/medication for Severe toothache
- Severe toothache from septoplasty
- Suggest treatment for anxiety and memory loss
- What causes poor memory and lightheadedness in the elderly?
- Does chronic alcoholism impact cognitive functioning?
- What causes stiff neck following increased Lexapro dose?
- What causes difficulty in penetration of penis?
- What causes panic attacks, suicidal thoughts and shivering of legs after...
- What causes night sweats and hot flashes?
- What causes difficulty in inserting penis into vagina?
- How to increase height?
- Suggest treatment for mirtazapine withdrawal symptoms