What is the best treatment to repair the broken eye socket after a traumatic eye injury?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: 2 1/2 weeks ago, I fell down a flight of stairs, resulting in a tramatic eye injury and a broken bone that supports the eye. The eye seems to be receding as the facial swelling subsides. The maxillofacial surgeon says that if that happened, she would go under the eye and place a tiny plate. Is this the best treatment? (Vision is returning.)
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopy surgery is the best treatment

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. From what you refer, it seems the eye socket is broken and the eye is being pushed back, a condition known as enophtalmos and this condition requires surgery. The return of the vision is a sign that the eye has not been damaged however the broken socket may affect the eye positioning. The best treatment plan is to wait for the swelling to go down and then go for surgery. The endoscopic approach for the repair is the best treatment and it involves inserting instruments and surgical cameras through the mouth or nose.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 15 hours later
Thank you for your answer. You have provided my second opinion.
Is this surgical procedure complicated? Do I need to go someplace other than XXXXXXX WV?
Thank you.
Beth
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relative risk

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

As every surgery, this one also carries a certain degree of risk. Infection is the main concern. Also, there is the risk of double vision after the surgery, which may require another surgery to repair the eye muscles.

However, it is considered a generally safe procedure with good outcomes.

As for your second question, I regret that I am not able to answer it as I do not know about that region.

I hope this answers your question and I hope you have a successful recovery.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 48 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome

Detailed Answer:

You are most welcome!

Take care,
Dr. Ornela Ademovi