What is the appropriate dosage of Meftal to effectively treat a high fever?
Better to give Paracetamol
Meftal contains Mefenamic acid and the dose of Mefenamic acid is about 6-8 mg/kg/dose and can be given 3 times a day. For child weighing 34 kg, 250 mg is sufficient.
Fever can be due to viral respiratory infection, urinary tract infection or some other cause.
Paracetamol is a better as the first line for fever and if fever persists even after giving paracetamol Mefenamic acid can be given.
Paracetamol can also be given 3-4 times a day depending on the severity of fever.
If fever persists longer please consult your paediatrician.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Pradeep Kumar, Pediatrician, Cardiology
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is high fever a side effect of cefoxitin?
- What is considered high fever
- Side effects of high fever
- Effects of prolonged high fever
- What are the symptoms of high fever
- What is the effect of high fever on penis
- Is high fever a side effect of flurbiprofen?
- Is high fever a side effect of lamotrigine?
- What is a high fever
- High fever usage of meftal