What is meant by many Inflammatory cells, few epithelial cells and occasional gram negative bacilli?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Many Inflammatory cells, few epithelial cells,many gram positive cocci in pairs
& chains, occasional gram negative bacilli seen. - what does this mean Doctor
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The findings mentioned by you are indicative of infection. Gram positive cocci and gram negative bacilli are different types of bacteria.

The most common areas of body affected by these bacteria are throat and lungs; and less commonly the urinary tract.

The affected person needs to take a course of antibiotics (7-10 days) depending upon the severity of infection. Treatment is effective in curing the disease.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad