What does this thyroid test report indicate?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hello Doctor, I’ve been suffering with hypothyroid problem since may this year. My initial tsh when diagnosed was 10.. I’ve attached the latest lab report. For the past two months, my doctor advised me to take eltroxin 88 mcg. Since I missed the dose for a few days, he asked me to continue the same for one more month and asked me to get back in January. Am worried about the high T4 in the lab report. Please give me your views on the same. Can I continue with the same dose. My age is 26/F
Wed, 23 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About levothyroxine dose:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Your concern is right, T4 level is slightly elevated but you should have taken the tablet the day you did the blood tests.
to judge about the levothyroxine dose, TSH is enough and it should be checked every 6 weeks each time you change a dose, 4 weeks are not enough.
T3 and T4 are not necessary, but if you want to check them too, you do not have to take the levothyroxine tablet that day, or there should be at least 4 hour difference form the moment you took the tablet.
So i would suggest to continue with 88 mcg and to be sure check TSH after 6 weeks.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.

best wishes,
Dr.mirjeta

Follow-up: What does this thyroid test report indicate? 27 hours later
Thank you Doctor. We are trying to conceive for the past one year. Am not sure that if this thyroid problem prevents me from falling pregnant. But I heard from a lot of people that in order to conceive, my tsh needs to be below 2. Is it true doctor? please advise on the same.

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, TSH should be under 2.5.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!
Yes, in order to conceive TSH should be below 2.5.
I would suggest not to increase the dose, but check the TSH after 2 weeks again (it means 6 weeks after strarting treatment).
If it perisists over 2.5 than the dose should be increased.

Do not hesitate to ask about further questions in the future. Will be a pleasure to help you!
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Follow-up: What does this thyroid test report indicate? 31 hours later
Thank you Doctor. Now that hypothyroid seems to be common among many people, especially women. I have a doubt. Does levothyroxine affect our heart in the long run?? because it is a life long medicine, will it affect the heart in future?

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep monitoring the dose:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
levothyroxine can affect heart when over dose is taken for many year.
If you keep monitoring the dose frequently (every 6 months) and keep normal TSH levels, it wan't have any side effect.
Dr.Mirjeta