What does this CT scan of the brain indicate?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had a CT images of my Brain. It demonstrated a mild cerebral and cerebellar volume loss with vacuo enlargement of ventricles and sulci, slightly advanced for my age. I am 64 years young and very physically active.
Subtle low-attenuation foci are present within the subcortical and periventricular white matter as well as basal nuclei.
Explain please........ Thank you
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload the entire report? Any previous scans? head trauma?

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for this query.

It is always important to see the entire file before giving personalized and conclusive information about this. For this, I kindly request that you upload the entire report for review and more suggestions. Also, let me know whether you have had any previous scans and any history of possible head surgery or trauma. also, why was this scan requested?

To upload an image, click on the upload icon to the right of your dashboard and follow the onscreen instructions. You may also send it directly to customer service at YYYY@YYYY and request that it should be uploaded to your query.

I hope to hear from you and promise to respond promptly. Until next, I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 minutes later
I have not suffered any previous head trauma. I was experiencing some dizziness and saw my internists. I had a CT images without contrast.
The report read mild and cerebellar volume loss with ex vacuo enlargement of ventricles and sulci, slightly advanced for my age. Subtle low attenuation foci are present within the subcortical and periventricular white matter as well as the basal nuclei, most consistent with sequela of chronic microangiopathic changes. There is no evidence of intracranial hemorrhage. No definite loss of gray white differentiation to suggest extended infarctio. There are no mass lesions suggested. Atherosclerotic calcifications are present within the carotid and vertebral arteries. The visualized portions of the orbits appear within normal limits.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
These changes are early for your age!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

These changes are entirely expected and they occur in each an every one with age. However, this is unexpected given your age. Should you have other disease conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, etc, this may be explained but without these, your findings would not be really explained entirely. Are you being managed for any chronic disease conditions? Are your symptoms that severe and permanent or were there transient? In all, I might suggest that you end up seeing a neurologist.

These atherosclerotic changes are to be investigated further and conditions favoring such diabetes, hypertension, poor blood lipid control, etc. should be thoroughly investigated or well managed.

I wish you well.