question-icon

What does severe pain in the left side of the chest indicate?

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018
Question: Hi,
2 weeks ago I had walking pneumonia. Recently, maybe last few days or so, I have sharp sudden pains in my chest (left side) it happens when I bend a certain way and feels like a muscle strain. I haven't done any strenuous activity. At rest, it is sometimes achy pain. Sometimes I get heart flutters. Additionally, not sure if it's related, but ive been severly bloated for almost a month with the feeling that I cant pass my bowels completely. I have a doctor's appt. scheduled for 2/12 but is this something that should be taken care of sooner? thank you.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It doesn't seem urgent

Detailed answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

According to the history, I don't think this pain might be due to pneumonia. If you are completely cured for pneumonia, you should have been symptom-free for a while. Now if this pain has happened immediately than the obstructed bowel gases might be the cause.

This pain in such scenario sometimes might be sharp and continued.

However, I don't think this is an urgency. You can wait till the doctor appointment.

Do not worry so much it should pass soon. Try to walk around a while and to drink a lot of water to improve the bowel movements. Additionally, you may try Lactulose syrup 10ml once daily at bedtime to improve the bowel movements.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist