• question-icon

What does my CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had a CT scan last night around 7:30 pm and then had blood work less than 12 hours later to check kidney function. I had my urine checked a couple weeks ago and it was normal and Ive had my creatinine checked as well a few times this year and its always been normal every time. I did have 75 ml of IV contrast as well as Isovue 370 Oral Contrast (This was in a liquid). My BUN was normal range at 18 mg/dl but my Creatinine Serum was 1.16 mg/dl. The paperwork says standard range is <1.13. Granted I did take this test when I first woke up so I may have been slightly dehydrated and it was less than 12 hours after my CT scan. Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I wouldn't worry too much.

Detailed Answer:
Good day and thanks to you for being with HealthcareMagic!

I wouldn't really worry about it and I would retake the creatinine after 2 weeks after being fairly hydrated and the contrast material is out of your body.

If you are really concerned about kidney function then a better way to check for it is doing a GFR scan. this is similar to a CT scan but purely measures the function of the kidneys.

Creatinine is a crude measurement of function.

Let me know if I could assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 5 hours later
I will have to see if they will reorder the test then. I have had my creatinine level checked 3 times this year and all 3 were normal. I've also had my urine checked 4 times this year and it's been normal every time as well. I assumed that it's only slightly elevated so the ct scan material as well as the fact I had the test early in the morning might if contributed to it. The cr scan of the kidneys was normal as well. I was a little worried but maybe I shouldn't of been.
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you shouldn't be worried.

Detailed Answer:
Yes I wouldn't be worried about your kidney function and I am sure it's is working properly. Like what I said earlier to have an accurate measurement of kidney function the best way is still getting a GFR test.

I hope I have answered your question satisfactorily and please consider a 5 Star rating for my answer. Thank you very much.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist