What does elevated CEA level indicate?
Other interfering factos should be considered...
CEA is the carcinoembryonic antigen in the blood, specific for colon cancer.
Apart cancer, there are other factors that can interfere with the results, including smoking.
So, if your father continued smoking even when the test was carried out, then, most probably, smoking has "falsely" increased the CEA level.
I'd suggest to repeat the CEA test after 4 weeks, but, this time, ask your father to stop smoking, at least a couple of days prior the test. You can discuss it further with his doctor too.
I understand your worries about increase in CEA level, however, keep in mind that doctors usually analyze other factors that might interfere with the results before running into final conclusions.
All the best!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What does rise in cea level indicate
- What does the cea market test results indicate
- Does smoking cause elevated cea level
- At what point is elevated cea dangerous
- What do elevated hcg levels during delayed periods indicate
- Can white wine elevate blood cea levels
- Elevated cea level fatty liver
- Can gout elevate cea levels during chemotherapy
- Can ibs cause elevated cea level
- Blood work shows elevated alt levels what does it indicate