What does dizziness with fluid retention in the eardrums indicate?

Cardiologist
Question
I have been having dizziness when standing for about a month now. There is also a
"whooshing" sound in my left ear. In the last few weeks I've also developed a
rather deep cough that only seems to be productive at night. What is coughed up is
always clear. I am fine as long as I am sitting or standing, but I find myself dizzy
and short of breath when I only walk a few steps. According to the doctor I saw a week or so ago, my lungs were clear - I'm not convinced of that, though - and I had
a tremendous amount of fluid behind my left eardrum. She gave me prednisone for
4 days (I also had a brief attack of sciatica) that she said would help me with the
inflammation in my head. She also prescribed Meclizine for the dizziness, but that
doesn't seem to be helping. I'm really at a loss here and wondering if you have any
thoughts. Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to an inner ear infection.

A sinus infection can not be excluded either, considering the cough.

For this reason, I would recommend performing a sinus X ray study and a sinus discharge bacterial culture for sinus infection.

Consulting with an ENT specialist is necessary too.

A complete blood count is needed to investigate for a bacterial infection. In such case antibiotics may be needed.

Meanwhile, I recommend having some rest and avoiding straining physical activity.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What does dizziness with fluid retention in the eardrums indicate? 1 minute later
Thank you so much. I will do exactly as you advise!

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Wishing a Happy New year!

Dr.Iliri