What does dealyed periods with vaginal spotting indicate?

Question
Hi I have always had a 28 day cycle and have been trying for a baby for 3 months , last month I had a 26 day cycle and this month it seems to he 30! I have had early pregnancy symptoms like sore breasts as I did On my son , my periods are a couple of days late but tonight I noticed some blood when I went to the toilet, it's only when I wipe there is no flow, I had no cramps or signs that's it's my period?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, get a rapid pregnancy test!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

With the cycle being just 2days late, it is unlikely to be caused by a pregnancy. However, because you know your system better and report symptoms of early pregnancy, a rapid home urine based pregnancy test would provide an answer for this.

Should it be that you are pregnant, then get immediate attention from an OBGYN as this vaginal blood may represent a possible early pregnancy complication. If the test should come out negative, please treat this as a regular and normal menses.

Getting pregnant is a game of chance. It may happen in the first month of try and it may take several months before it happens. I will advice that you exercise patience in this process of trying to conceive. Also, did you seek pre-conception care as this helps with preventing malformations and addressing any worrisome risk factors in the mom to be.

In all, get a pregnancy test and the results would help us decide on what the next step is.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query and do feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be. I wish you well and immediate success as you try to conceive.

Follow-up: What does dealyed periods with vaginal spotting indicate? 13 minutes later
Hi I did an early pregnancy test and it was negative but due to the pregnancy symptoms I thought I may have tested to early but it probably was because I'm not pregnant

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely, you are not pregnant.

Detailed Answer:

By the time you expected your menses, most pregnancy tests are able to provide accurate and reliable tests. It is more likely that you are not pregnant than you are pregnant.

As I mentioned before, treat this like a normal menses and carry on.

I wish you well and I wish you success and luck!