question-icon

What does current research show regarding Cytotec and birth defects?

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2018
Question: What does current research show regarding Cytotec and birth defects? My daughter was prescribed Cytotec by her OBGYN at 6 weeks due to "blighted ovum" which upon her check up they discovered a living baby! She is devastated thinking Cytotec causes birth defects. Some threads/research shows sever birth defects can occur, while other threads say "This medication cannot affect the growth or development of your baby". Please help, what is the real answer?

Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Increased risk of malformations still very low.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

The risk of baby malformations after using cytotec is a bit increased but still is small as 1 to 1000 cases.
Your daughter should follow the prenatal screening examinations in different stages of fetal development to have a better check on the possibility of malformations on baby.
I don't think she should worry too much.
It has nearly the same probability as down syndrome to happen.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka