What does candidiasis in food pipe mean? Is this a serious problem?

Dr. Om Lakhani

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What is Candidiasis of the food pipe? Is it a very serious illness? What is the duration of medication?
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Candidiasis in Food pipe is suggestive of reduced immunity. It is not a serious illness per se and can be cured with a course of anti-fungal agent. At age of 70 yrs there is already a drop in immunity and hence candidiasis is not unusual , though I would still suggest you to get yourself checked for diabetes.

I would suggest you to take a course of anti-fungal agent for the same. Any nearby GP can prescribe it to you.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Physician
Former Gastroenterology Registrar at Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad.

Follow up: Dr. Om Lakhani 18 minutes later
My father has had Syscan for the last 7 days . Is this medication sufficient? My father is diabetic and is under medication for Diabetes. Does swelling of feet occur in Candidiasis of the food pipe? Any particular dos and donts in the food to be had?
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Diabetes is exactly what I suspected. Since he is diabetic, candidiasis is pretty common.

Syscan is the right medication for the disease, but 7 days is not enough, I would prescribe it for alteast 14 days.

As far as food is concerned , I would advice him to take soft food for alteast 2-3 weeks.

Swelling of feet is not seen with candidasis. Swelling of feet is sometimes caused by some anti-hypertensive medications. It is also seen in patients with heart problems. Has your father undergone an echocardiography in recent past ? if not I would suggest you to go for one.

Dr. Om Lakhani