Ask a Urologist   »  

What does blood in your urine mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Last Thursday night, I started seeing blood in my urine. That same evening, I began having symptoms of a cold (very sore throat, congestion, coughing). By Friday, both the amount of blood and the cold had escalated, and both are still present. Any thoughts?
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be mostly due to UTI

Detailed Answer:
Helllo
Thanks for query .

Blood in urine (Hematuria) associated with chills and fever strongly suggest UTI.

Get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like
Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water to keep urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What does blood in your urine mean? 1 minute later
I have no symptoms of a UTI. No frequency of urination, no pain, no fever.

(My cold symptoms are sore throat, congestion & coughing.)

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood in urine needs to get investigated

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up
Blood in urine can be due to either UTI or Mass in urinary system which needs to be investigated
Consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and get following basic tests done to establish diagnosis
1) Urine routine and culture
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy)

Further treatment will depend upon results of these tests and final diagnosis

Till then continue talking medicines suggested earlier

Thanks and Regards
Dr. Patil